Pages

Translate

Monday 16 February 2015

Shrove Tuesday - Crêpes

Shrove Tuesday - Crêpes 

And so it goes, being a purist I like mine with lemon and granulated sugar but I dare you to try it with Nutella, if you must bring in to play jam then any will do but I insist on unsalted butter on the base first. Trust me it will change your life. I tend to make these not only on Shrove Tuesday but whenever I get home sick; I'm pretty sure 'maman, une crêpe' was my little sisters' first sentence. 
Makes 6 on a 20cm shallow pan with sloping sides. 



Ingredients:
1 egg
150g plain flour
200ml milk  
125ml beer or cider 
30g unsalted butter melted

Method:
1. Mix all the ingredients in a jug with a fork except the butter cover with cling and leave to rest for at least an hour. The batter will sit happily in the fridge for up to two days.
2. When ready to make the crêpes stir in the melted butter and let the batter come to room temperature. 
3. Meanwhile heat a shallow frying pan on medium heat; add a tablespoon of butter, swirl the pan to make sure the butter covers the base then wipe clean with kitchen paper. Saving it for the next crêpes.
4. Put a thin layer of batter in the hot pan and twirl your wrist to cover. Once the sides start to come away from the pan using a table knife with a rounded tip lift and flip the crêpe, cooking the over side for a further thirty seconds. 
5. Add preferred filling, roll and apply to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment