Pages

Translate

Saturday 15 August 2015

Book Review | The Martian by Andy Weir



Books are magical pieces of art.
They can take you anywhere, transform you into anyone you wish to be, a young soldier fighting in WW1. Sure. A kitchen maid from the 1910s? Bien sur.
However, few books can immerse themselves in your life. Changing it forever. Falling for a book like falling in love means different things to different people. 
My great book loves are always unexpected and have more or less nothing in common except for the fact that they all speak to me. That is to say they touch right through to my core. I end up not only liking the protagonist, but I see myself in their actions. The lives they lead become mine, I cry with them and share their rage as my own. 
Dear readers that is how I felt about The Martian by Andy Weir. From the very first line to the very last... I was in space, I traveled to Houston Texas, and landed on Mars. This book is a tale of a human being fighting for survival on a barren landscape against the elements, but it is also about how a whole planet can pull together in order to save him.
Some books are hard to love: They are long, include a lot of prose and you have to keep going sometimes as far as chapter five before one is truly enthralled. 
Other books are boring and you barely finish them or give up altogether because you simply didn't feel anything. Then there are those that are easy enough to read with an alright plot but you soon forget about them.
The Martian is a true piece of art because it is none of those things. The Martian does something that is so rare but that I keep striving for: It makes you believe.
So my parting words are to Mr Weir, shall he ever read this are simply Thank You.

Book of elsa

No comments:

Post a Comment